Thursday, March 12, 2020






               My paper discussed the evolution of rap music over time, and explained the impact culture, media, and creativity had on this evolution. The goal of my writing was to understand why exactly it has become so widely listened to, despite its humble beginnings in the Bronx. In this paper, I research the change in subgenres of rap, along with the effect culture and media has, leading to more exposure for new rappers and an overall growth of the genre.


               This topic is completely relevant in today’s society, because it’s been the United State’s most listened to genre since 2017. I am interested in talking to a rapper on the come-up or on the brink of becoming viral. These young artists have so much more opportunity than the young artists of the past, and can become literally overnight sensations. I am passionate about the culture around this genre, including the music itself, but also the fashion and business surrounding it. I was somewhat surprised reading that it was the most listened to genre since 2017, because pop music is typically on the radio because of the clean language used in their songs, although I do know many people who listen to rap music on streaming platforms all the time. My opinion was changed positively while writing this essay. I learned a lot more about my favorite music genre, and I hope to learn much more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment